Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My heart is full...

It seems lately that some really amazing people in our life have passed away unexpectedly. Terry Morrison was a very kind and giving man who served his family and friends with all his heart, might, mind and strength. His son Tanner who is 13 had just finished taking his hunters safety course so they decided to go hunting over in Prineville, Oregon (Central OR). They got over there, set up camp, Terry with his youngest son Tanner and Devin an older son was with them also. Terry ended up having a massive heart attack. They jumped in the car to Prineville but he was not able to make it. He passed away on their way there. He told Tanner, "Whatever happens it will be ok and you will be ok". He was in pain and dying and yet he was still more worried about others. He passed into the Spirit World Thursday night~October 7th, 2010.

Terry was special to me because he set me apart as a missionary. I will never forget that day for as long as I live. It is a very special thing to be set apart and have the mantel of a missionary placed upon me. Terry promised me that if I served and gave everything I had to my mission , my experience would be meaningful and teach me lifelong lessons. I did just that and followed his wise and encouraging words. Next to being a Wife and a Mother there is nothing more important in my life that I have accomplished thus far as being a Missionary. I will be forever grateful to President Morrison. He was a wonderful Father to 10 children (amazing kids too), Grandfather and Husband. He genuinely cared about others and served tirelessly in his Church callings.



His funeral was amazing. His wife Debbi is a Rock and stood Sunday in our Ward Sacrament Meeting hugging and comforting others. She is a wonderful Mother to her 10 children (she birthed them all~wow). An amazing Grandmother too. There were over 1000 people gathered in attendance at our Stake Center today. When I went into the viewing the entire Morrison family was there. All 14 grandchildren were playing around on the floor or with each other and some of them were gathered up at the open casket. One of their grandsons said to his cousin Paige who is in my Primary class, "I haven't ever seen Grandpa wear this tie before it must be new". Paige then said, "well, I saw him wear it last night so I know it's not his first time wearing it". Paiges cousin continued then to pat his Grandpa's cheek, hold his hands and talk to him. It took me back at first that they were touching him so much. Then instantly I was overwhelmed ~ how wonderful to be so comfortable with death. It is the one sure thing in this life. We will all pass on into the next life. This life is but a short time and we have so very much to do. So many things to learn and so much service that we need to give.



I was uplifted and reminded of how truly blessed we are to have the Gospel of Jesus Christ in our lives. For me personally, I would not be who I am today without it. My Young Women leaders let me lean on them during tough times of abuse and my parents divorcing three times. The Gospel gave me the Iron Rod to hold fast to, the teachings of the Church gave me the stability and security that I wasn't getting at home. Life is not easy, but with the Gospel knowledge it is worth it. I am indeed grateful to know the truth. To have the blessings of the Priesthood in my home. To be guided by the Spirit. To have the scriptures available to me everyday whenever I need or want them. To be able to listen and learn from a true Prophet of God. The list goes on and on. Gratitude is indeed what I feel today~Gratitude to my Father in Heaven.

No comments: